China Backs Pakistan-Afghanistan Ceasefire, Urges Restraint and Dialogue

Beijing expresses readiness to play a constructive role in easing regional tensions
ISLAMABAD, October 16, 2025 — China has voiced its support for the 48-hour ceasefire agreement between Pakistan and Afghanistan, urging both sides to exercise restraint and pursue lasting peace through dialogue.
Speaking at a regular press briefing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said Beijing stands ready to play a “constructive role” in improving relations between the two neighbours.
“China supports countries in exercising restraint and realising a full and lasting ceasefire,” Lin said, adding that peace and stability in the region are crucial for shared development.
The temporary ceasefire, announced by Pakistan’s Foreign Office on Wednesday, came after several days of deadly border clashes. According to the FO, both Islamabad and the Taliban administration in Kabul agreed “with mutual consent” to suspend hostilities for 48 hours starting from 6 p.m. Wednesday.
During this period, both sides pledged to find “a positive solution to this complex but solvable issue through constructive dialogue.”
Afghan Taliban spokesperson Zabiullah Mujahid confirmed the truce on platform X, stating that Afghan forces had been instructed to respect the ceasefire “unless any aggression takes place.”
Pakistani officials at the Chaman and Kurram border areas confirmed that no violence was reported overnight, and the ceasefire remained intact as of Thursday morning.
Meanwhile, UN human rights chief Volker Türk welcomed the temporary truce and appealed to both sides to protect civilians and commit to a lasting ceasefire.
The ceasefire follows Pakistan’s precision strikes in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province and Kabul, conducted earlier this week in response to cross-border attacks. The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) reported that Pakistani forces had repelled multiple Taliban assaults along the Balochistan border, killing around 15–20 fighters.
The recent violence marked the third major skirmish between Pakistan and Afghanistan within a week. The clashes began with Taliban fighters attacking Pakistani border posts, resulting in the martyrdom of 23 troops and injuries to 29 others.
Kabul claimed its attack was a retaliatory move against alleged Pakistani air strikes, a claim Islamabad has neither confirmed nor denied. However, Pakistan reiterated its right to defend itself against terrorist groups such as the TTP, urging Afghanistan to ensure its territory is not used for cross-border attacks.
The long-standing issue of terrorist sanctuaries in Afghanistan continues to strain ties between the two countries, with recent border hostilities pushing relations to a new low.
Post Comment